Thursday 22 August 2013

The Controversial Pork Barrel Fund

Much has been said and spilled out. A lot of versions came out that kind of shaken and awaken me. I've heard it countless of times and I know what's it all about. But what came into my curious mind is why it is termed as 'Pork' Barrel? According to Wikipedia, and I quote, "is the appropriation of government spending for localized projects secured solely or primarily to bring money to a representative's district. The usage originated in American English.[1]." Further, the term pork barrel politics usually refers to spending which is intended to benefit constituents of a politician in return for their political support, either in the form of campaign contributions or votes. In the popular 1863 story "The Children of the Public", Edward Everett Hale used the term pork barrel as a homely metaphor for any form of public spending to the citizenry.[3] ... More generally, a barrel of salt pork was a common larder item in 19th century households, and could be used as a measure of the family's financial well-being.

That being said, I thought it's a Filipino term knowing Filipinos could easily make a joke on something controversial and illegal pertaining to government funds. With the questionable spending and distribution of government funds to the 'wrong' projects, I thought that's why it's coined after malababoy na ugali (like animalistic attitude). But metaphorically, it is somewhat kind of related to what's happening in our government scenario. In my own opinion, there is nothing wrong having Pork Barrel funds. The problem really is how it's used and spent and the manner it's allocated. What's saddening is the politicians whom we put into the government office are the ones making use the big portion of money that's hardly earned by each Filipino worker. That government tax that is slashed from every minimal salary of an ordinary Filipino worker is worth every cent in the ordinary Filipino family. I don't know what happened to this literate, over-educated and over-accomplished politicians that the basic rule, 'DO NOT STEAL' is not understood or just overlooked. This is one of the basic rule our CREATOR has taught us. Why their greediness over power their intention to 'serve' where in fact, they should be our servant and not the other way around. As a matter of fact, it should be their way of expressing their 'utang na loob' to us because if not for our vote, they wouldn't enjoy the privileges they are getting now. I'm NOT a kind of person who doesn't say a piece about government issues and stuff. But for this particular topic, I'd like to burst out my disappointment, disgust and protest to the same old government system and ideals that we're used to have. If not, I'll regret it that I haven't stand for the majority of Filipinos who are clamoring for justice. Shame on you DIRTY and TRADITIONAL POLITICIANS! I salute these whistle blowers who in one way or another have a little bit of dignity and integrity and a lot of courage and conscience (where these politicos don't have I bet) to show not for themselves but for the entire Filipinos. It's time for change, a deep cleansing of our dirty politics. It's now or never folks. It's time to end this evil ways. It's not helping us as they keep on saying that we're on our way to development. Maybe it's them who are becoming richer and living a life too much of a comfort. Our nation will never ever reach the goal and vision we have aimed for this country nor a government that is corrupt-less. It's a far cry from where we are standing now. 'Tuwid na daan' (straight road)? I don't think so. Unless we act for ourselves and NOT to leave it alone to this politicos who are doing dirty tactics as long as they reign supreme in their positions. How rude and shameless these politicians are. They are living in luxury and lavish lives while the rest of the poor don't even have food or slippers to buy. 

I'm sorry for pouring out negative remarks here. I'd really like to share something that concerns us all. I thought I'm done with my sentiments in my post here. But last night, words are flowing in my head and that I want to address it more. I really feel for the majority of Filipinos who for a very long time are suffering from tainted truth and lies. Let us be one in heart, mind and soul that Filipinos are really worth dying for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SnR finds

Hello! I'm like was lost and then resurrected all of a sudden. I have no plans of reviving my blog just yet but I'm just excited to...